Code of Ethics
Adopted September 16, 2014
Statements concerning behaviors, perceptions, and actions of all members that relate to ethical compliance while acting within all areas of IFMA. This document is a guideline and does not represent the entire breadth of what constitutes good conduct and ethical behavior.
To clearly set expectations so individuals will know how to act ethically at all times. The code is designed to foster trust and mutual respect among those working in IFMA and the facility management profession.
Governing Authorities: IFMA’s Constitution and Bylaws
- This policy covers all volunteer leaders within IFMA. It also covers individual member’s behaviors when acting in any capacity of IFMA membership. Individuals applying for and being accepted for membership in IFMA expressly agree to abide by the rules and regulations that govern the Association, which include these Code of Ethics statements.
- Members are expected to comply with any and all similar standards and ethical guidelines that are prescribed by their employer.
- These statements work in concert with the IFMA Standards of Business Conduct that are focused on the business operation functions within IFMA.
- Member expulsion from IFMA is only approved by the Board of Directors.
Purpose: All IFMA members are expected to comply with the IFMA Code of Ethics. When in doubt, members have the responsibility to seek clarification from IFMA.
- IFMA members shall not disclose, directly or indirectly, any confidential information relating to IFMA business, staff, or other IFMA members.
- IFMA members shall be encouraged to share (within bounds of confidentiality and proprietary) educational and professional development information to the membership.
- IFMA members shall maintain the highest professional standards and ethical behavior in their Association relationships. This includes, but is not limited to, the use of mail lists, membership information and membership resources, or any calls, contacts or working relationships outside of IFMA.
Conflicts of Interest
- Promptly disclose any known conflict of interest to related parties, and use any reasonable means to resolve such conflicts.
Compliance with Laws
- IFMA members will comply with all civil and criminal laws that may apply to them.
- IFMA members will not engage in unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, sex, creed, age, disability, national origin, or any other category protected by law in their dealings with fellow IFMA members.
Responsibility to the Profession
- IFMA members shall abide by the Constitution and Bylaws of the Association and shall support the objectives of its strategic plan and show respect in interactions with the interests of the Association.
- IFMA members shall not engage in professional malfeasance, nor shall they make any misrepresentation concerning professional designations authorized by IFMA, nor shall any member misrepresent their educational qualifications, credentials, or working experience.
- IFMA members shall treat each other with respect when dealing with matters that could affect their professional reputations. All members shall recognize that the profession will be judged by the conduct of individual members.
- IFMA members shall use IFMA membership as a means of professional development for themselves and not personal aggrandizement.
Protection of Assets
- Individuals who oversee Association assets shall apply the best available knowledge and techniques to preserve asset value and integrity.
- IFMA members shall endeavor to deal fairly with other members, competitors, vendors, and employees. No member shall take unfair advantage of anyone through manipulation, concealment, misrepresentation or material facts, or any other unfair dealing practice.
- IFMA members will abide by policies which may restrict or forbid commercial transactions at certain times or certain events (e.g., a meeting at which an entity is the sole or exclusive sponsor of the event, in an educational presentation which forbids commercial references or endorsements).
Reporting of any Illegal or Unethical Behavior
- IFMA members are responsible to report the actions of individuals or companies considered contrary to the Code of Ethics to IFMA.
- IFMA shall follow standard procedures for the enforcement of this Code as approved by the IFMA Board of Directors.
Revision Log: Date First Created: 1983
Revision date: September 1995
Revision Date: June 18, 2004
Revision submitted for Board approval: July 3, 2014